School Free Travel

Most school students living in NSW are eligible for free bus travel when traveling between home and school.

How do I know if my child is eligible for Free Travel to school?

To be eligible for travel under the School Student Travel Scheme (SSTS) students must be:

  • A resident of NSW
  • 4 years 6 months of age or older
  • An infant student (K, 1 or 2), irrespective of distance from school
  • A primary student (year 3-6) straight line distance from their home address to school is more than 1.6 km or walking distance from home to school is 2.3 km or further.
  • A secondary student (year 7-12) straight line distance from their home address to school is more than 2.0 km or walking distance from home to school is 2.9 km or further.
  • Enrolled at a registered day or boarding school

How do I apply for School Free Travel?

In May 2016 NSW Transport introduced changes to the way you apply for School Free Travel. Paper application forms, known to many parents as the SSTS Blue Forms now no longer exist and you now apply and update your details online. If a student already has a school travel pass, in most cases you won’t need to re-apply at the end of the school year as your pass will be rolled over unless your details have changed.

However you will need to do a new application if:
•    Applying for a school travel pass for the first time
•    Enrolling in Kindergarten
•    Requesting an additional pass as a result of a new shared parental responsibility situation (e.g. joint custody).
•    If your home to school free travel period expired.

Importantly, you will need to do an update application if the student has a current school travel pass and:
•    Have received an expiry notification but have special circumstances
•    is progressing from Year 6 to Year 7 unless the school you are attending is K-12 ( Sapphire Coast Anglican College or Lumen Christi)
•    circumstances change, e.g. change of name, school, home address or school year outside of the usual progression.

Parents with children under 16 must complete the online application and students over 16 are required to complete their own application. Once complete print a copy of your application to use as a bus pass in the interim until the bus pass is issued. The number on your application can be used to track its progress. Your application will be checked by the school against their enrollment and address records.  If approved, SCB will then issue a bus pass and arrange these to be handed out at school in Term 1,  or sent with driver onto child’s bus if application is received later in the year.

If you don’t have access to the internet you can phone NSW Transport on 131 500 and they will help lodge your application for you.

What if I lose my School Free Travel Pass?

Please look after your school travel pass. If you lose or damage your pass to the point of it being illegible, you will need to pay $15 for a replacement pass which can be done online, our office in South Pambula or pay over the phone. You may also complete a form and hand to the driver with cash or cheque.

Free school travel passes do not include travel to and from:

before and after school care or child-minding premises
before and after school activities
school excursions
sports events
work experience
Vocational Education and Training (VET) at a location away from where the student is enrolled
multi-campus high schools, weekend schools, pre-schools or mini-schools (except for full-time geographically isolated distance education students).

What if your child is not eligible for free travel?

If your child is not eligible for free subsidised travel, alternatives include:

Please visit Transport for NSW SSTS page for more information.

Still have questions?

Phone our friendly staff on (02) 6495 6452 or send us an enquiry.